Covid-19 – Coronavirus update – 30th March 2020
We are aiming to provide as much information, help and support to our members in this difficult time. This summary update gives clear help on who to contact for help and support.
What has changed?
Activities and Group Meetings
As you are hopefully aware all activities and face-to-face meetings have been cancelled until further notice. All staff are working remotely from home. This is a decision we took last week; it was not taken lightly as we know how much our members enjoy and rely on these meetings, but we have to put the safety of everybody first.
With Millbrooke House closed, we are trying to find a way to continue a weekly service for audio books with guidance from the RNIB; we will update this as soon as we find a way this can be worked safely.
We have contacted every member who receives the Talking News and informed them of the weekly special ‘contactless’ edition; put together by staff, trustees and volunteers. The weekly edition is now being broadcast on Vectis Radio (104.6FM) or online (vectisradio.com). Click on the ‘listen temp’ tab. It is also being repeated at 6pm on Tuesdays until further notice.
What hasn’t changed?
All staff have now set up to work remotely from home and our phone lines remain open Monday to Thursday 9:00am to 4:30pm and Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm. Outside of these hours you can always phone and leave a message on the answerphone which will be monitored as best we can.
If you are in need of anything you think we can help with, we are here and happy to chat through your concerns or offer practical help as best we can. Our number is 01983 522205. Please do not hesitate to call us. If it is something you think we can’t then please see alternatives below:
General Help & Advice – RNIB Helpline on 0303 123 9999
Eye Hospital appointment / worries regarding your eye condition. Laura Gooljar – 07885 210891
Local support and help for those facing isolation – Isle of Wight Council Helpline 01983 823600
Action on Hearing Loss Isle of Wight – Provide statutory support for people with Sight Loss – 01983 529533
Mountbatten ‘Keep Connected’ Helpline. Call 24/7 if you need a listening ear – 01983 533331
VENTNOR TOWN COUNCIL
• Help with essential shopping
• Collection of prescriptions
• Information or advice
• Dog walking
• Other help
Help line: (01983) 853775 or 857848 between 09:00 and 16:00
BUS PASSES ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT
The Isle of Wight Council has extended its support for elderly people during the COVID-19 crisis.
Bus passes for Island bus users who are over 65 will be valid before 9.30am, to help older travellers access supermarkets which have made available early shopping time slots for elderly people.
Key Ways Sight for Wight is Offering Help and Support
1. Sight for Wight’s phone remains open as usual on weekdays. Staff will be working and, in addition to the usual advice and support about anything to do with living with sight loss, our team can offer further support to anyone with sight loss who becomes isolated or is concerned about accessing information, products or services.
We are here to help connect you to sources of local support and find solutions with anyone who calls us. Not all the information about Covid-19 is accessible so if anyone is finding it challenging to access key information, we can help.
You can call us on 01983 522205 / email email@example.com
2. As people are spending more time at home, we are offering more opportunities to connect with others online; you can join our Facebook Page, Sight for Wight where we are encouraging people to share local information, useful hints and tips. Click HERE for Facebook page.
3. You can contact Laura Gooljar who is the Isle of Wight Eye Clinic Liaison Officer and a Trustee at Sight for Wight. Laura is available for people who are newly diagnosed or have a change in their sight or are concerned about missed appointments. Laura’s contact details are: Telephone: 07885 210891 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. We are going to be calling every member to talk to you and find out if we can offer any help, support or just a chat in this unprecedented time of isolation for us all. So please do expect a call; we will also be asking you how we can best contact you to provide further updates, telling you about how we can help both now and in the future and if you are receiving the Talking News or Audio Library, how we can help still get this to you .
Please expect a call from Laura, Chris, Sue, Lisa or Susan; the number that will come up on your phone is 01983 522205.